Thursday 4 November 2010

Guestblog: Feeding body and soul ...


By Jenni Baden Howard, editor of nonstopmama.com, an online glossy for busy mums

So few totally yummy foods are renowned for their health benefits - I'm all for those that buck the trend! Avocados definitely fit the bill. Halved, sploshed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and shared as a starter or anytime snack - so delicious and what could be a simpler? Or a good guacamole (usually shop bought in my home, to my shame), with a mountain of crispy tortilla chips? Scoop and crunch ...

Editing a website for time-crunched mums - most of whom, I'm sure, are much more competent in the kitchen - I love a 'throw together'  meal that combines ease of preparation (as in, hardly any) with fab flavours. The classic Italian 'Tri-Colore Salad' - slices of avocado, mozzarella and tomato, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and seasoned - is another great example that ticks the 'comfort food' box, too. I'm not very good at slicing avocados (I could do with taking tips from Tom and Thomasina on that one!), so mine always look a bit mushy. Nil points for presentation, but YUM. Tossing a few basil leaves on top makes things more presentable (although I'm sure you're a lot better at slicing avocados than me).

With my beauty writer hat on, I should add something about the skincare benefits of the super-nourishing avocado. Naturally inclined beauty buffs apply mashed up avocado as a creamy, moisturising face mask and a friend of mine recommends always rubbing the peel (once you've scooped out the flesh) straight onto your skin - waste not, want not! Sounds a bit messy, though. Think I'll keep mine on the plate ...

No comments:

Post a Comment