Avocado Week is back! From the 24th to the 30th October 2011, the Chilean Hass Avocado Association will be encouraging the nation to get acquainted with one of nature’s healthiest and most delicious fruits - avocados.
Whether you’re already a fan, or yet to be converted, there are lots of avocado-themed events planned for the week to get involved in. One of the highlights is a blog competition with some great prizes up for grabs. Stay tuned for further details…
TV chef Thomasina Miers has developed three tasty avocado recipes especially for Avocado Week;
- Chickpea and chorizo soup with avocado cream
- Smoked mackerel and horseradish cream with avocado relish and brown pitta bread
- Winter Caesar salad with Hass avocado
Full recipe details will follow shortly.
Look out for avocado sampling demonstrations in Tesco stores during the Chilean Hass avocado season – there will also be exclusive in-store promotions.
So why not get involved and try avocados for yourself today? Here are a few tips to get you started:
- When choosing a Hass avocado, look for avocados with dark, unblemished skin, which feel slightly soft when gentle pressure is applied
- Avocados taste great on their own with a drizzle of salad dressing, but they can also be used as an ingredient in salads, sandwiches and even desserts. For recipe ideas visit www.deliciousavocados.co.uk
- Avocados can be used as a healthy alternative to butter, try spreading mashed avocado in your sandwiches
- Remember that eating just half an avocado counts as one of your 5-a-day
- The Hass variety of avocado is the most popular worldwide
- Follow us on Twitter @AvocadoBrother, #Avocadoweek and #Avotweet